Job Posting – Hazardous Materials Technician
Steer Environmental is an environmental consulting firm located in Nelson, BC. Our Hazardous Materials Group services an ever-increasing client base in the Kootenays and we are looking to expand our team.
Responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
- Planning, conducting, and reporting on hazardous material assessments for a variety of materials including asbestos, lead, mold, and silica.
- Monitoring abatement projects; conducting inspections and air monitoring, as well as associated reporting.
- Collecting bulk material and air samples in accordance with regulatory and analytical method requirements.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree, preferably in a scientific discipline.
- Successful completion of the AHERA 24-hour Asbestos Inspector course would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of local, provincial, and federal regulatory requirements for hazardous materials management.
- Minimum one year of experience as a technician in hazardous materials or a similar field of work such as construction, abatement, restoration.
- Planning and completing hazmat assessment of materials including asbestos, lead, mold, silica, PCB, mercury, radioactive materials, etc.
- Collecting bulk samples for laboratory analysis in accordance with regulations and analytical method requirements.
- Collecting air samples for airborne contaminants including asbestos, lead, silica, mold.
- Conducting pre-, daily, and post-abatement inspections and completing associated reporting.
- Using, maintaining, and calibrating equipment commonly used in hazardous materials management (e.g., pumps, cyclone, moisture meter, hygrometer, HEPA-vacuum).
- Understanding of, and ability to interpret, laboratory analytical results.
- Drafting hazardous material assessment reports, air monitoring reports, and clearance reports including site plans.
- Project management experience would be an asset.
- Drafting risk assessments and exposure control plans would be an asset.
- Valid drivers license.
- Use of a personal vehicle for work.
- Ability to climb ladders, lift up to 50 pounds in weight.
- Ability and willingness to frequently travel within the region and work flexible hours.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and PDF.
- If interested, please send your resume with cover letter to Jennifer Mayberry at firstname.lastname@example.org.